Monday, March 12, 2012

Which Herb, What Food?

All righty! Another show, in the can (as they used to say, when video was shot on film and there actually WAS a can that you put it in when it was finished)...

I realized just after logging out that I never shared the link to the great little document I mentioned. It's from the Cooperative Extension Office at the University of Delaware, and can be found right here:


It gives a nice, concise list of which herbs go with what food. Bonus on page two: some good herbal blends, and instructions/recipes for making your own herb butter and vinegars. Nice!

Speaking of butter, here's a little that I made myself, with thyme and parsley on the side. It's actually very very easy to make your own lovely, creamy, organic butter to mix with your fresh herbs...Hmm... I think I feel a new show topic coming on! 

(If you have kids, you really should try doing this with them - IT'S SO COOL. Like magic, seriously. It makes me wish I'd had kids just so I could homeschool them and show them how to make butter.  :D )


I've also found links for the recipes I mentioned - Since they're not mine, I'm going to send you to other websites instead of copying the recipes here. Only fair, right?

Mediterranean Veggie Dip, from Better Homes & Gardens:

The Herbfarm's Green Goddess Dip:
Increase the lemon juice to 1/4 cup, and add 2 more anchovy filets, and you have the dressing recipe!

Ina Garten's Rosemary Roasted Cashews:
oh lordy do I love these.

And finally, what's for lunch (just as soon as I post this):
  • Spaghetti, fettuccine, or angel hair pasta, cooked al dente
  • Extra virgin olive oil, good quality
  • Fresh basil ribbons, or crushed dried basil - home-grown, preferably
  • Freshly grated Parmesan cheese (if you use the "green can" stuff, I shall come haunt you)
  • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • Optional: a very little bit of sour cream
Drain the pasta, put in a bowl with a splash of the oil. Toss with the basil, Parmesan, salt and pepper. Stop there if you'd rather, or add a little dollop of sour cream, and work it into the pasta as you yum your way through it. 

Whoa - pasta water is boiling  - Talk to you next week... ;-)




No comments:

Post a Comment